If you like collecting or buying records you have to read this. On Saturday and Sunday November 11th & 12th for the 48th time, collectors of vintage vinyl and freshly pressed records and cd’s meet again in Utrecht, here the Jaarbeurs Expo houses more than 500 stands in 12.500 square metres of floor space dedicated to a great extent to good old and yet super contemporary vinyl records. At the spring edition this year visitors from 65 different countries were counted from almost all 6 continents. Vinyl is back at the Mega Record & CD Fair, even though some might say it never left the building. This Autumn the fair will celebrate Elvis and his female competitors from the fifties and sixties with an exhibition. Like last year the 48th edition coincides again with the Le Guess Who? festival. With performances by over 100 bands and musicians this festival is gaining worldwide exposure. As is the record fair itself, altogether, a unique experience.
Elvis and his Female Heroes.
Ask twelve year old kids who is the world most famous rock star and they will shout ‘Elvis’! Expert Johan van Wezel is a collector of Elvis records and memorabilia for most of his life and will exhibit some of the highlights from his impressive collection at the fair. Imagine autographs, clothing, lyrics and rare records. Besides this, DJ Miss Twist curated a vinyl cover expo called ‘The Female Heroes of Elvis’. She will exhibit the original vinyl recordings of these mainly black musicians from those days that not only Elvis loved to listen to but also inspired modern artists like Adele, Madonna and Beyoncé.
Le Guess Who? Festival
On the same weekend November 9th – 12th the inner city of Utrecht will host the Le Guess Who? Festival. Curators are – among others -Thurston Moore and James Holden. Don’t be surprised if you see your favorite artist crate digging at the Mega Record and Cd Fair.
“Festivals with this wide-eyed approach to music new, old and from all over the globe do not come around often, and even less so in cities this picturesque” – The Line Of Best Fit
Popquiz, book presentations, record launches, live performances and other activities
- On Sunday the fair will host the Three Imaginary Boys Pop Quiz, everybody can join and win prizes like free concert tickets etc.
- On November 13th 2017 it is exactly 50 years ago that Syd Barrett played his only one gig in Holland. Charles Beterams will launch his book ‘Pink Floyd in Holland’ with live performance by ‘Use of Ashes”
- ‘Pop Pioneers’ book launching by Tom Steenbergen about the first people who started pop festivals and venues in Holland
- 50 years after recording The Fallouts will celebrate the reissue of their only ep.
- 40 years after the birth of ‘Never Mind the Bollocks’ the punk formation The Stiff from The Hague will perform live and acoustic
- On Saturday Omega Auctions (UK) will auction over 100 rare vinyl records live from the fair
Mega Record & CD Fair Autumn 2017
- Where: Jaarbeurs Utrecht, Jaarbeursplein 6, Utrecht
- When: Saturday 11th November (9.00 am til 5 pm) and on Sunday 12th November (10.00 am til 5 pm)
- What: Look for all information, news, presale, time schedule and additions on: www.recordplanet.nl