Unusual Sounds (out November 9) is a deep dive into the mysterious world of library music; the extraordinary stock recordings that soundtracked the heyday of B movies, low-budget television, and scrappy genre filmmaking curated by David Hollander.
These 20 tracks, encapsulate the niche and fascinating subculture of library music. Genres were spliced, conventions dispensed with, and oftentimes hybrid music of astonishing complexity was produced. Elements of rock, jazz, soul, even twentieth-century avant-garde composition were all utilized, and no stone was left unturned. As a result, some of the best library music defies all categorization, reflecting the individualistic quirks and artistry of the various musicians who made it.
This compilation includes compositions by Brainticket founder Joel Vandroogenbroeck, KPM Allstars John Cameron and Keith Mansfield, Montenegrin-born composer Janko Nilović, and the Italian film composer Stefano Torossi amongst others
1. Keith Mansfield – Funky Fanfare
2. Stefano Torossi – Running Fast
3. D. Patucchi – La Dimostrazione
4. Klaus Weiss – Survivor
5. Janko Nilovic – Xenos Cosmos
6. V. Geminiani – Ophis Le Serpentaire
7. Stringtronics – Tropicola
8. Stefano Torossi – Feeling Tense
9. Gary Pacific Orchestra – Soft Wind
10. John Cameron – Half Forgotten Daydreams
11. F. Micalizzi – Night Breeze
12. Les Hurdle, Kathleen Poppy & Madeline Bell – You’ve Got What It Takes
13. Electric Machine – Fancy Good
14. C. Cordio & F. Vinciguerra – Quips and Cranks
15. Les Hurdle & Frank Ricotti – Dissolves
16. Joel Vandroogenbroeck & Walt Rockman – Fairy Tale
17. Mladen Franko – Weeping Eelgrass
18. Peter Patzer – Mild Maniac
19. Joel Vandroogenbroeck & Marc Monsen – Group Meditation
20. Roland Hollinger – Dream Number Two
This compilation is the perfect companion to the book Unusual Sounds: The Hidden History of Library Music, also curated by David Hollander. Out now on Anthology Editions.