Introduced in 2007, Oasis was Brinkmann’s first Direct Drive Turntable, as well as the first Brinkmann to use the proprietary “Sinus” motor technology.
Brinkmann’s “10th Anniversary Final Edition” Oasis (MSRP $21,990 US) includes a 10.5 Tonearm and features an improved direct drive bearing. These will be the final 100 Oasis Brinkmann will build.
The most prominent feature of the Oasis turntable is most probably its direct drive mechanism. In Brinkmann never-ending search to improve sound quality, they did not stop short of evaluating different drive mechanisms or other alternatives such as belts of various consistencies. Brinkmann quickly discovered, however, that belts, for example, impart a fundamental sonic characteristic on the sound. Brinkmann therefore decided to forgo them altogether for this new model. As it turns out, the platter of the Oasis is driven directly instead of with a belt.
The drive mechanism consists of a ring shaped permanent magnet contained in the platter’s bearing and four air-cored inductors on the Oasis’s chassis plate. These inductors are adjusted and driven with utmost precision to different phase angles. Thus, the ensuing magnetic field rotates the platter. Well aware of the reason for the bad reputation and uneasy sound of the direct drive turntables of the 1970s and 1980s, Brinkmann resisted tight regulation of the direct drive mechanism. Instead, Brinkmann take advantage of the many years of experience and insight we gained from manufacturing our own “big” turntables. Brinkmann use a precision bearing that is capable of smoothing out the drive’s miniscule speed variations. This results in a rotational smoothness hitherto unimaginable with “classic” direct drive mechanisms.
Brinkmann Oasis Specifications
- Final Edition: limited to 100 sequentially-numbered turntables: 001/100-100/100
- Drive: direct drive
- Dimensions (WxDxH): 520 x 400 x 125 mm
- Weight: 26 kg
- Platter weight: 10 kg, height 50 mm
- Platter surface: planar polished crystal glass (recessed mounting)
- Tonearm: ships with a 10.5 tonearm, tonearm bases available for 9…10.5” tonearms (arm mountings available for virtually any tonearm), easy and quick exchange and adjustments are provided via a collar system.
- Woodplinth: makassar high gloss
- Included in delivery: turntable, 10.5 tonearm, screw-down record clamp, performance power supply, tools
- Options: additional arm bases, dust cover